April 18, 2017 is tax day in the United States. The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Colombia of their obligation to comply with both U.S. and Colombian tax regulations. U.S. taxpayers living abroad are allowed an automatic two-month extension to file their returns, but must attach a statement explaining why they are qualified for the extension. For a calendar year return, the automatic two-month extension is to June 18, 2017. Note that you must pay any tax due by April 18 or interest will be charged starting from April 18. The IRS has extensive online information for taxpayers living abroad. Specifically, if you had foreign financial assets in 2016, you may have to file Form 8938 with your return.
U.S. citizens resident in Colombia may also need to file and pay taxes in Colombia. The Colombian tax administration is the Direccion de Impuestos y Aduanas Nacionales (DIAN). Colombia’s 2016 structural tax reform included mechanisms to simplify tax procedures, strengthen DIAN, and criminalize tax evasion, as well as changes to the value-added tax (IVA).
The embassy is unable to answer tax questions. We recommend you consult an accountant or tax attorney experienced in international taxpayer issues if you have questions.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Colombia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Colombia, located at Carrera 45, # 24B-27, Bogotá, D.C., by email at email@example.com or by telephone at +571-1 275-2000, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 m. Monday through Friday. Non-emergency services are offered by appointment. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +571-1 275-4021.
- The Embassy operates a Consular Agency in Barranquilla, Colombia which also provides assistance to U.S. citizens. The Barranquilla Consular Agency is located at Calle 77B No. 57-141, suite 511, tel. (575) 353-2001. Hours are 8:00 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday. You can schedule a non-emergency service by calling the Consular Agency.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.