Every American citizen exiting Colombia must have a valid U.S. passport to leave the country. A U.S. passport also serves as proof of U.S. citizenship and is commonly accepted as an official identity. For information on the entry and exit requirements of Colombia click here.

*** We return new passports and/or Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or any other document by mandatory courier service.   Please note that the courier service (DHL) requires a postal code for your address in Colombia to ship your citizenship document.  You can significantly reduce your waiting time if you come prepared with the postal (zip) code for your address in Colombia.  You can find your postal code in Colombia here.***

Emergency – limited passport

In emergency cases (if your trip is within 10 business days) the Office of American Citizens Services at the Embassy in Bogota may issue an emergency – limited validity passport which is valid for 90 days.



For purposes of US passport applications, an adult is a person 16 years or older.


For purposes of US passport applications, a minor is a person of 15 years or less.

Name change / corrections / replacement of limited passport

If you changed your name or there is an error in your passport, you may change the information on your passport. You can also replace your limited passport (emergency) for a full validity passport.


A consular officer may require additional documentation from the one mentioned above. In such case, you will have 90 days to bring or send by registered mail the pending documents. The application is considered abandoned after 90 days and you will have to reapply and pay again.