The U.S. embassy advises U.S. citizens that there was an explosion the afternoon of Saturday, June 17 at Andino shopping mall, located at Carrera 11 and Calle 82 in Bogota. Police and media have reported that a bomb went off in a bathroom. Initial report indicated two people were injured. The mall has been evacuated and emergency personnel are on the scene.
U.S. citizens in Bogota should avoid the immediate area near Andino mall, and should follow instructions from emergency personnel. Remain vigilant and expect increased police checkpoints in Bogota and along roads leading in and out of Bogota.
U.S. citizens needing assistance should call the embassy’s emergency after-hours number, +57-1-275-4021. U.S. citizens in Colombia should let concerned family and friends know that you are OK. Although Monday, June 19 is a Colombian holiday, the embassy will be open.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Colombia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Colombia, located at Carrera 45, # 24B-27, Bogotá, D.C., by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at +571-1 275-2000, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 m. Monday through Friday. Non-emergency services are offered by appointment. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +571-1 275-4021.
- The Embassy operates a Consular Agency in Barranquilla, Colombia which also provides assistance to U.S. citizens. The Barranquilla Consular Agency is located at Calle 77B No. 57-141, suite 511, tel. (575) 353-2001. Hours are 8:00 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday. You can schedule a non-emergency service by calling the Consular Agency.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.