Event: On Sunday, October 29, 2023, Colombia will hold regional elections throughout the country. Colombian Security Forces are expected to deploy approximately 250,000 members in support of election day security. As with any political contest, there is always the potential for demonstrations, protests, and/or confrontations.
The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid areas around demonstrations/protests/marches whenever possible and exercise caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings as even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without any warning.
Due to the elections, please note that alcohol sales and consumption are prohibited countrywide from 6:00 p.m. on October 28 until 6:00 a.m. on October 30. Additionally, land and river border crossings will be closed from 6:00 p.m. on October 28 until 4:00 p.m. on October 29.
If you require assistance, please contact us at the phone number and/or email provided below.
Actions to Take:
- Comply with local regulations.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise vigilance.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Plan for alternative travel routes.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter