Event: The U.S. Embassy in Bogota advises U.S. citizens that historically during the holiday season, there is a corresponding uptick in crime in Bogota and throughout other cities in Colombia. U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local events, and take appropriate steps to bolster their personal security during the holiday season.
We wish you a safe and happy holiday season.
Actions to take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Avoid parking on the street, utilize parking lots with attendants, and keep valuables out of sight.
- Limit the amount of information shared with any unknown callers and/or strangers.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night. Remain attentive when entering and departing residences.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Limit the use of your cellphone while out in public, especially on the street.
- Only carry the cash and credit cards that you require for your day’s activities.
- Do not resist physically any robbery attempt.