Location: Cucuta, Colombia
Event: On April 17, 2023, at approximately 11:20 AM, the detonation of an explosive device in Mercedes Abrego Park in Cucuta killed one person and injured several others. The explosive was in a trash can near a Colombian National Police facility.
The U.S. Department of State advises citizens to reconsider travel to Colombia due to crime, terrorism, and COVID-19 and to exercise increased caution in Colombia due to civil unrest and kidnapping. The Department advises citizens not to travel to Colombian departments Arauca, Cauca (excluding Popayán), and Norte de Santander due to crime and terrorism and not to travel to the Colombia-Venezuela border region due to crime, kidnapping, and risk of detention when crossing into Venezuela from Colombia.
The full Travel Advisory for Colombia can be found here.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area where the incident took place.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise vigilance.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
U.S. Embassy in Colombia – U.S. Embassy in Colombia (usembassy.gov)
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter