Location: La Macarena, Colombia
Event: On January 6, an explosion occurred near La Macarena Airport, also known as El Refugio Airport, in La Macarena, Meta, Colombia.
According to initial reports, two Colombian military members were injured.
The U.S. Department of State advises citizens to exercise increased caution in Colombia due to civil unrest, terrorism, and kidnapping, and to reconsider travel to Colombia due to crime and COVID-19. The full Travel Advisory for Colombia can be found here.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area where the incident took place.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise vigilance.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- If applicable, contact your airline to reschedule flights to/from La Macarena Airport.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
Tel. +57-1-275-2000 or 601-275-2000
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter