Event: The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of security awareness and take extra safety precautions while transiting the city throughout the November 9-14 Independence Day festivities.
On November 10, Calle 40 and Avenida Santander (near the walled city) will be closed intermittently due to scheduled parades in the afternoon.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Exercise vigilance.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Use caution when in areas with less police presence.
- Keep car doors locked and windows rolled up.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as by wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Never leave food or drinks unattended in public. Never accept drinks or food from strangers.
- Do not invite strangers into your lodging or residence.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Plan for alternative travel routes.
U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
Tel. +57-1-275-2000 or 601-275-2000
U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook