Location: Colombia, countrywide
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Bogota advises U.S. citizens that the National Liberation Army (ELN) terrorist organization continues plotting possible attacks in Colombia. Additionally, ELN has announced a “Paro Armado” or Armed Strike in Colombia from February 23rd through the 26th.
Historically the Colombian Departments most impacted by “paros armados” are Antioquia, Arauca, Cesar, Norte de Santander, and Valle de Cauca, but there is a possibility of incidents throughout Colombia, including larger urban centers. The transport sector is typically targeted, as well as public security forces.
The U.S. Department of State advises citizens to reconsider travel to Colombia due to crime and to exercise increased caution in Colombia due to civil unrest, terrorism, and kidnapping. The full Travel Advisory for Colombia can be found here.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Exercise vigilance.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
Tel. +57-1-275-2000 or 601-275-2000
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter