Location: Cartagena, Colombia
Event: Criminal Activity in Cartagena
The U.S. Embassy in Bogota advises U.S. citizens that extra precaution is merited in areas of Cartagena where there is less police presence. There has been increased criminal activity throughout Cartagena as Covid-19 restrictions have been reduced, and there have been several notable criminal events in the Chambacu neighborhood, the area to the East of Centro Comercial Caribe Plaza, and in Southern Cartagena.
The U.S. Embassy recommends U.S. citizens remain aware of their surroundings and exercise extra precaution in areas with less police presence and recommends that drivers stay on main roads while driving through these areas. Side streets can be narrow or often blocked by parked vehicles even though the GPS may show the road passable.
Actions to Take:
- Use caution when walking or driving in areas with less police presence.
- Try to stay on main roads.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Keep car doors locked and windows rolled up.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
Tel.+57-1-275-2000 or 601-275-2000
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter