Location: Cúcuta, Colombia
Event: On December 17, 2021, an explosion occurred at a police station in El Zulia, a municipality west of Cúcuta, Colombia. According to local news reports, no one was injured in the explosion.
The U.S. Department of State advises citizens not to travel to the Norte de Santander department due to crime and terrorism. Violent crime, including armed robbery and homicide, is widespread. Terrorist groups are active in this area. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens as U.S. government-personnel travel to these areas is severely restricted due to security concerns. The full Travel Advisory for Colombia can be found here.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area where the incident took place.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise vigilance.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
Tel. +57-1-275-2000 or 601-275-2000
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter