Location: Colombia- Countrywide
Event: Presence of Terrorist and Transnational Criminal Organizations in Colombia
U.S. Citizens are reminded of the presence of terrorist and transnational criminal organizations within parts of Colombia. Visitors in Colombia should always be alert to the possibility that extremists may conduct attacks at any place and at any time with little or no warning. All visitors should be vigilant, maintain heightened situational awareness, and incorporate strong personal security practices into their daily activities.
Below are recent security related issues/incidents that highlight the threat present in-country:
- On August 11, an improvised explosive device was discovered at the Camilo Daza International Airport in Cucuta, Norte de Santander. The device was controlled detonated by security officials and no injuries occurred.
- On August 9, the Director General of the National Police stated that the Colombian Police are at “maximum alert” for potential actions by members of a terrorist organizationdue to recent enforcement actions carried out by security forces against the group.
- On August 2, a Colombian National Police officer was shot and killed at close range by alleged members of a terrorist organizationin the city of Neiva. The murder is believed to be part of a targeted killing campaign carried out by the terrorist groupagainst the Colombian National Police.
- Three recent explosive related incidents occurred in the urban area of Cali:
- On July 29, a grenade was thrown at a police sub-station in the Alfonso Bonilla neighborhood resulting in the death of a police canine.
- On July 30, a grenade was thrown at a police sub-station in the Mojica neighborhood but luckily the grenade failed to explode.
- On August 5, a grenade was thrown at a police sub-station in the Charco Azul neighborhood causing material damage.
- Incidents of violence against Colombian security forces by illegally armed groups continue to occur on a regular basis in traditionally high‐risk areas of the country.
The Embassy will continue to keep the community apprised of new developments.
During office hours (8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday): +57 (601) 275 2000
Carrera 45 No. 24B-27
Bogotá, D.C. Colombia
If you want to report or have a case already with us, click here.
*Please note that this contact form is only for inquiries related to American Citizens Services. We cannot respond to questions or requests, including from U.S. citizen petitioners, for status updates regarding immigrant or nonimmigrant visas.
U.S. Citizens calling from a Colombian mobile, please dial (601) 275-2000.
U.S. Citizens calling from a U.S. phone number please dial 011-57-601-275-2000.
Carrera 45 No. 24B-27 Bogotá, D.C. Colombia
Phone: (+57) (601) 275-2000
Fax: (+57) (601) 275-4600