Event: Ongoing Terrorist Threat in Colombia
Extremist groups continue to operate and plan attacks throughout Colombia, such as the bombing of a Colombian military base in Cucuta on June 15. Targets may include Colombian government installations and/or areas popular with foreign travelers.
As terrorist attacks, political violence (including demonstrations), criminal activities, and other security incidents often take place without any warning, U.S. citizens in Colombia are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance and practice good situational awareness.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for important information.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- If you need immediate assistance, contact the Colombian authorities by dialing 123.
- For consular assistance, contact the U.S. Embassy using the information below.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter