An official website of the United States government

Report Fraud
April 22, 2022

The Consular Section welcomes any information you may have about U.S. passport abuse, visa abuse, application dishonesty, as well as any other passport or visa-related wrongdoing.

You can report fraud by simply filling out the form at this link and selecting the “Report Fraud” option.  Please provide us with only the information that is specifically relevant to the fraud, including the perpetrator’s full name and birthdate as well as the nature of his or her wrongdoing.  You can also attach relevant, electronic documents (like cell phone photos of visas, ID, passport pages, etc.)

We encourage you to provide your name and contact information so that we can follow up with any questions about your tip.  Providing your contact information, however, is optional.

Please be assured we carefully review your information and take appropriate action and any information submitted to the Consular section is completely confidential.  Please note we cannot divulge the results of our investigation.  You will not receive a response regarding your complaint unless additional information is required, in which case we will be in contact with you. We request that you do not file a report more than once, as duplicate submissions can delay the processing.

How do I report someone who is living illegally in the U.S.?

The appropriate agency to report persons who are residing illegally in the United States is the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency (ICE). You may report any suspicious activity or make a confidential report of an immigration or customs violation by calling 1-866-DHS-2-ICE (1-866-347-2423). For more information, please visit the ICE website.

How do I report illegal activity taking place in the U.S?

It depends on the type of illegal activity and the state where the illegal activity is taking place, but the activity should be reported directly to the applicable U.S. Government agency.  For example, if you want to report someone using a false social security number, contact the U.S. Social Security Administration. Here is some useful contact information for U.S. Government agencies that deal with illegal activity:

Can you verify the status of a company in the U.S.?

The Fraud Prevention Unit does not verify information related to companies in the United States.  There are, however, publicly available services to research companies, such as the Better Business BureauDun & BradstreetYelp, and various state business registries.