Attention U.S. Citizens: Important details on nationwide quarantine
Please note that the Government of Colombia has issued a decree governing the nationwide quarantine from 12:00am on March 25 until 12:00am on July 1st. In order to reduce the spread of COVID-19, the decree applies to everyone in Colombia, including foreign visitors.
Everyone must #stayathome. Under the quarantine, you may leave your home or hotel only under specific circumstances, outlined below. Please follow instructions under the decree. The U.S. embassy will remain available for emergency services to U.S. citizens.
During the quarantine, one individual per household may leave his or her home or hotel to:
• Go to the grocery store to buy food
• Go to the pharmacy to pick up medicine
• Walk a pet for 20 minutes in the vicinity of one’s residence
• Access emergency services, including veterinarians
• Attend a necessary medical appointment
• Visit an ATM or bank to access financial services or get a notary
• Take a licensed taxi or public bus when necessary to leave the house for one of these approved reasons.
Full list of exceptions can be FOUND HERE.
Domestic air travel within Colombia will be suspended during the quarantine period. Inter-city bus service may also be suspended.
For more information on the quarantine, please see the full decree here and information on the extension. If you fail to follow Colombian law, remember that you could be subject to fines or other legal measures.
To receive updates from the U.S. Embassy, please register at step.state.gov. For U.S. citizens with an emergency, you can call +57 1 275-2000.