Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bogota (March 20, 2020)
The Maduro regime has confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Venezuela.
The Maduro regime has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. On March 16, the Maduro regime announced a national quarantine which bars movement between states with the exception for transport, health, and food delivery services. Visit the interim government’s COVID-19 website for additional information. We understand that as of March 20, Conviasa maintains normal operation of flights from Caracas to international destinations.
On March 11, 2019, the U.S. Department of State announced the withdrawal of diplomatic personnel from U.S. Embassy Caracas. All consular services, routine, and emergency, are suspended until further notice. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Venezuela.
Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. As of March 23, Colombia has barred admission to international travelers.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
After-hours emergencies +57-1-275-4021
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Venezuela Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter