Applicants who wish to apply for a current local vacant position must read the following paragraphs carefully. Application packages that are inadequate or incomplete will not be considered.
- The Human Resources Office accepts and considers only applications that are associated with a specific vacancy announcement.
- To be eligible for consideration, candidates of all nationalities must meet the eligibility requirements of legal right to work in Colombia (i.e. Colombian citizenship, residency visa or work visa). For information on how to apply for a Colombian visa please see www.cancilleria.gov.co
Preparing your application package:
- Verify that you belong to the target group for which the vacancy is open. Only applicants who meet the “OPEN TO” criteria will receive consideration.
- Ensure that you meet the required qualifications: education, experience, language, knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Provide in your application form and cover letter specific and comprehensive information on how you meet all of the required qualifications for the vacant position. Only those candidates who provide specific and comprehensive information to support each of the advertised requirements of the vacancy announcement will receive consideration.
Sending your Application
A complete application package must include:
- A cover letter highlighting how you meet the particular qualifications for the position as advertised. Please indicate in the cover letter your primary language (primary language is the native or first spoken language).
- The employment application form. Please fill in all the spaces. If there are sections that are not applicable to you please write N/A (Non Applicable). Click here to download the employment application form.
- Copies of certificates, awards, degrees earned, licenses or other documents that are related to the vacancy announcement.
Submit a separate application package for each position that you are applying for.
Submit your Application Package
Submit your application package to:
American Embassy Bogota
Human Resources Office
Attention: Recruitment Unit
Carrera 45 No. 24B-27
Bogota, D.C., Colombia
Alternatively you could e-mail your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note that this e-mail address is a mail box only. Any messages sent to this box will not receive a response.
- Only one submission per position will be accepted, i.e. please do not mail a hard copy of your application package to us if you have already sent it via e-mail.
- Application packages will be received until the vacancy announcement’s closing date. Submissions received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to acknowledge the receipt of applications packages due to the high volume of applications received.
The Selection Process
Applications’ screening, testing and interviews are normally completed within six weeks of the vacancy announcement’s closing date. Please assume that you were not selected if you have not heard from us within six weeks of the vacancy announcement’s closing date.
Screening is based on eligibility and qualifications. Applicants must meet both the eligibility and qualifications criteria to receive further consideration.
- Eligibility: applicants must have the legal right to work in Colombia (i.e. Colombian citizenship, residency visa or work visa), applicants must submit the application package by or before closing date, and applicants must meet the “OPEN TO” criteria of the vacancy announcement.
- Qualifications: applicants must meet ALL the advertised requirements of the position: Education, Experience, Languages, Knowledge and Skills and Abilities.
- Only applicants who meet the eligibility and advertised requirement will be considered for interview.
- The Embassy will not return application packages to unsuccessful candidates.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
* Important – Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Thank you very much for your interest in employment with the American Embassy in Colombia.