The United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Office of International Affairs (OIA) is the largest international investigative component within in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The mission of OIA is to protect the United States of America by enhancing national security to prevent terrorist attacks. In furtherance of this goal, OIA conducts and coordinates international investigations involving transnational criminal organizations responsible for the illegal movement of people, goods, money and technology into and out of the United States. Additionally, we interact with the international community on behalf of ICE through representation with international organizations, international training and outreach, coordinating official visits, ensuring the integrity of our visa system and assisting in the repatriation of foreign nationals ordered deported or removed from the United States.
The ICE Attaché Bogota is responsible for:
- Coordinating the criminal and administrative investigations into violations of United States immigration and customs laws with our counterparts in Colombia;
- Assisting our foreign counterparts with investigations that have ties to the United States;
- Assisting in the repatriation of nationals of Colombia who have been ordered deported or removed from the United States;
- Working with the Department of State in Colombia to identify visa fraud and coordinating appropriate criminal prosecution with the host country when it is detected;
- Working with Colombian Officials to identify Trade Based Money Laundering;
- Providing outreach and training to host country officials, businesses, non-governmental organizations, civic groups, industry and others in support of our efforts to combat money laundering, criminal travel, human trafficking and smuggling, child pornography and exploitation, visa and document fraud, customs fraud and other offenses related to the unlawful movement of people, goods, money and technology into or out of the United States;
- Management and oversight of the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Container Security Initiative in Cartagena, Colombia.
The ICE Attaché Bogota is an investigative and enforcement arm of DHS and has no inspectional, regulatory or immigration benefit components.