An official website of the United States government

Domestic Employees (B-1)
April 1, 2022

This category of applicant includes, but is not limited to, housecleaners, cooks, chauffeurs, nannies, nurses, and gardeners.

You may work as a personal or domestic employee in the United States on a visitor visa if your employer is:

A Nonimmigrant Visa (NIV) Holder – Your employer must have a valid nonimmigrant visa.  The domestic employee must have been employed outside the United States by the employer for at least one year prior to the date of the employer’s admission to the United States, or the employer must have a history of employing domestic employees in similar capacities, and the employee has a residence abroad which he or she has no intention of abandoning.

An American Citizen – The domestic employee is accompanying a U.S. citizen who has a permanent home or is stationed in a foreign country but is visiting or is assigned to the United States temporarily. American Citizens who reside in the United States may not bring a foreign domestic employee to the United States to work.

The domestic employee should gather and present the following required documents:

  • Employment Contract. A written contract must be provided to the consular officer. The employer must provide proof that the applicant will receive the minimum or prevailing wage (whichever is higher), describe the employees duties and the work to be performed, and be provided working conditions in accordance with U.S. law. It must also specify that the employee’s travel, room, and board expenses will be paid by the employer. The contract must be in English, and a language understood by the employee and must be signed by the employer and employee.
  • Employer’s visa or Employer’s U.S. passport.