Location: Bogota, Colombia
Event: Demonstrations on October 20 and 21, 2020
The U.S. Embassy is aware of demonstrations planned to take place across Bogotá coinciding with the national strike on October 20-21, 2020. Demonstrations are expected to take place in the following locations:
- Plaza de Bolivar
- Plaza de Toros
- Plaza de los Artesanos
- Universidad Nacional
There is a possibility of traffic disruptions and road blockages, especially in the downtown area near La Presidencia, on Tuesday, October 20.
Large crowds and traffic disruptions are expected and clashes with police are possible on Wednesday, October 21.
The Embassy will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary. While most protests remain peaceful, large crowds confronted by police or anti-riot forces may turn violent rapidly.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates on demonstration and security conditions.
- Exercise caution near large gatherings or protests.
- Plan alternative travel routes or remain in place if planned travel is inhibited.
- For emergency assistance, contact the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy using the information below.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla email@example.com
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter