Location: Bogota, Colombia
Event: Demonstrations on Monday, October 19, 2020
The U.S. Embassy is aware of demonstrations planned to take place today, October 19. Beginning around 8:30 am, the Minga Indigenous Group will be moving from Simon Bolivar Park to the Presidential Palace Area in downtown Bogota. This will likely disrupt traffic in the area and may lead to street closures.
U.S. citizens should expect traffic delays and potential road blockages in the areas of planned protests.
The Embassy will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary. While most protests remain peaceful, large crowds confronted by police or anti-riot forces may turn violent rapidly.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates on demonstration and security conditions.
- Exercise caution near large gatherings or protests.
- Plan alternative travel routes or remain in place if planned travel is inhibited.
- For emergency assistance, contact the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy using the information below.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla email@example.com
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter