Location: Bogota, Cali, Medellin, Barranquilla, Bucaramanga, Cucuta, Villavicencio and Pasto
Event: Anticipated Demonstrations in Metropolitan Areas – November 23, 2022
Planned demonstrations by motorcyclists are set to occur today, November 23, in Bogota, Cali, Medellin, Barranquilla, Bucaramanga, Cucuta, Villavicencio and Pasto. The demonstrations will protest the price of gasoline, mandatory traffic accident insurance, and alleged abuses by transit authorities.
In Bogota, the motorcyclists will meet at Biblioteca Virgilio Barco (Avenida Carrera. 60 No. 57 – 60) at 10 am. The exact route is unknown, but the motorcyclists will initiate Plan Tortuga which could significantly slow up traffic on Calle 63, Carrera 50, Calle 26 and Carrera 68 up to Calle 100.
The U.S. Embassy recommends avoiding areas around demonstrations/protests/marches whenever possible and exercising caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings as even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without any warning.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise vigilance.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Plan for alternative travel routes.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombiaemail@example.com://co.usembassy.gov/ Tel.
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquillaconagencybarranquilla@state.gov
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter