Event: Demonstrations on May 19, 2021
The U.S. Embassy is aware of continuing demonstrations, unrest, and disruptions throughout Colombia. The nationwide events can cause the shutdown of local roads and major highways, often without prior notice or estimated reopening. Road closures may significantly reduce access to public transportation and airports and may disrupt travel both within and between cities. We have learned of the following nationwide demonstrations/protests planned for tomorrow, May 19th throughout Bogota.
- 8:00 AM Demonstration at Portal Americas
- 8:00 AM Demonstration at Parque Virrey
- 9:00 AM March beginning at Parque Nacional and proceeding to yet undetermined location
- 10:00 AM March beginning Portal del Sur and proceeding to Estadio el Campin
- 1:00 PM Demonstration at Parque Banderas
- 2:00 PM Demonstration at Monumento a los Heroes
While the Embassy is currently aware of the aforementioned demonstrations, please keep in mind that other protests may occur with little notice. With this in mind, please take the following precautions:
Monitor local media for updates on demonstrations and security conditions
- Avoid large gatherings or protests
- Plan for alternative travel routes or remain in place if planned travel is inhibited
- Review/establish emergency plans such as configuring go bags and a shelter-in-place plan to include 3-days’ worth of food/water/basic supplies in the unlikely event of enhanced movement restrictions.
While most protests remain peaceful, large crowds confronted by police or anti-riot forces may turn violent rapidly. Avoid any actions that could escalate the situation and attempt to remove yourself from the scene. Additionally, be advised that the nationwide demonstrations continue to impact other parts of Colombia not addressed in this notice
If you need assistance, please contact us by phone or email; see details below.
Colombia is at a Level 4 Travel Advisory due to COVID-19. Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Colombia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter