Event: The U.S. Embassy has learned of continuing demonstrations and protests in Bogota today, May 2, as well as unrest in other cities, such as Cali. Some areas have seen significant marches, some looting, and the burning of city buses. U.S. citizens across Colombia are recommended to exercise increased caution as a result of these events, avoid protest areas, and monitor local media for updates.
In Bogota, exact routes for demonstrations are uncertain, and you may encounter disturbances, traffic detours, and delays because of these events. Protesters may begin at the following points and march toward Plaza de Bolívar:
- Parque Nacional
- Banco de la República
- Estadio El Campin
- Portal Las Americas
- Portal Norte
- Portal Usme
- Plaza de Banderas
- Movistar Arena
- Glorieta Tintal
- Universidad Distrital
- Av. 26 at Av. Ciudad de Cali
Additionally, motorcycle protestors are expected to join the demonstration from Puente la Dignidad to Movistar Arena. Some protestors may also try to affect the area around the President’s private residence.
Further demonstrations are planned for Monday, May 3. The taxi drivers strike committee has announced demonstrations starting at 4:00 a.m. at the following points in Bogota:
- Av. 1 de Mayo at Av. Boyaca
- Calle 80 at Carrera 104
- Exito Suba
- Home Center – Calle 170 at Autopista Norte
- Av. Americas at Av. Ciudad de Cali
- Av. Ciudad de Cali at Calle 26
We are monitoring the protests and will provide relevant information as needed. While most protests remain peaceful, large crowds confronted by police or anti-riot forces may turn violent rapidly. If you need assistance, please contact us by phone or email; see details below.
- Avoid protest areas.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter