Location: Bogota and Cartagena, Colombia
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Bogota has learned of scheduled demonstrations and protests in Bogota and Cartagena from Wednesday, April 28, through Friday, April 30. While exact routes for these demonstrations are uncertain, you may encounter disturbances, traffic detours, and delays because of these events at or near these locations:
- Parque Nacional
- Universidad Nacional, Calle 26 entrance
- Universidad Pedagogica
- SENA – The National Service for Learning
- Plaza Bolivar
- Beginning in Mamonal to Plaza de la Paz. Taxi drivers will start from the Turbaco toll station and march across Cartagena to Plaza de la Paz.
We are monitoring the protests and will provide relevant information as needed. While most protests remain peaceful, large crowds confronted by police or anti-riot forces may turn violent rapidly. If you need assistance, please contact us by phone or email; see details below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter