Location: Cartagena, Colombia
Event: Demonstrations in Cartagena on September 22, 2022
The U.S. Embassy is aware of a protest that will take place against the Mayor of Cartagena in Cartagena beginning at 06:00 am on September 22, 2022. One of the gathering points is the entrance to Bocagrande starting at 08:00am. However, exact routes for all demonstrations and marches are subject to change. You may encounter disturbances, traffic detours, and delays associated with these events.
The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid areas around demonstrations/protests/marches whenever possible and exercise caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings as even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without any warning.
If you require assistance, please contact us at the phone number and/or email provided below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Monitor local media for updates
- Plan for alternative travel routes or remain in place if travel becomes difficult
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia firstname.lastname@example.org https://co.usembassy.gov/ Tel. +57-1-275-2000 or +57-601-275-2000
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla email@example.com
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter