Event: LGBTIQ+ celebratory marches are planned throughout Colombia on Sunday, July 2, 2023, and will include large events in Bogota, Medellin, Cartagena, and other cities.
Bogota’s Pride Parade is largest pride celebration in the country where over 100,000 people are expected to attend. The march will begin at 2:00 p.m. at La Plazoleta del Consejo de Bogota and end at la Plazoleta de Eventos del Parque Simon Bolivar.
In Medellin an estimated 80,000 people are expected to attend the parade. The march begins at 2:00 p.m. in El Poblado neighborhood at El Politecnico Jaime Isaza and ends in the Parque de las Luces.
The march in Cartagena will start at 1:00 p.m. and will depart from Chambacu, in front of Mall Plaza Shopping Center. The march will continue along Pedro de Heredia Avenue making stops at Pie de la Popa, Mercado Bazurto, Maria Auxiliadora and Los Cuatro Vientos. The march will conclude at the parking lot of El Coliseo de Combate, south of the city.
These are expected to be peaceful demonstrations, but there is a likelihood of road closures, traffic disruption, and congestion. The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid areas around demonstrations/protests/marches whenever possible and exercise caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings as even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without any warning. If you require assistance, please contact us at the phone number and/or email provided below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Plan for alternative travel routes or remain in place if travel becomes difficult.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia Tel. +57-1-275-2000 or 601-275-2000 email@example.com https://co.usembassy.gov/
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla firstname.lastname@example.org
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter