Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Bogota – October 25 Taxi Strike
Event: The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that a taxi strike may take place in Bogota on October 25, 2023, causing traffic delays. The Government of Colombia is currently in negotiations with the taxi unions to address their concerns and hopefully prevent such a strike.
The following locations are potential gathering points for taxis starting in at 7:00 a.m. October 25: Portal , Calle 170, , Bosa, Kennedy, Lucero Alto, Lucero Medio, Lucero Bajo, and Suba.
The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid areas around demonstrations whenever possible and exercise caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings as even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without any warning.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise vigilance.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Plan for alternative travel routes.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter