Location: Bogota, Countrywide
Event: U.S. Embassy Bogota is monitoring calls for protests on May 1, a Colombian national holiday, in various cities throughout Colombia. Within Bogota, demonstrators are expected to gather in various locations, including Parque Nacional and Plaza Bolivar. Protest activity could also take place in other locations, including near universities and Transmilenio bus lines.
The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid areas around demonstrations, protests, and marches whenever possible and exercise caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings as even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without any warning.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise vigilance.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Plan for alternative travel routes.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter