Event: Demonstrations on August 26, 2021
The U.S. Embassy is aware of planned demonstration activities in Bogota on August 26.
Demonstrations, which may affect travel and could turn violent, are expected in the following locations in Bogotá:
- Parque Nacional – Carrera 7 and Calle 35.
- Secretaría Distrital de Salud – Calle 13 and Carrera 32.
- Centro de Memoria Paz y Reconciliación – Carrera 19 and Calle 24.
- Avenida Boyacá and Calle 71 sur.
- Avenida Cali and Calle 45 sur.
- Avenida Suba and Avenida Cali.
- Avenida Caracas and Carrera 68.
- Autopista Sur and Carrera 75.
- Avenida Caracas and Calle 51B sur.
- Autopista Norte and Calle 171.
- Monumento a los Héroes – Autopista Norte and Calle 80.
Also, possible demonstrations are expected at Universidad Nacional, Distrital, and Pedagógica, especially during the afternoon.
While exact routes for all demonstrations and marches are subject to change, you may encounter disturbances, traffic detours, and delays associated with these events.
While most protests remain peaceful, large crowds confronted by police or anti-riot forces may turn violent rapidly. If you require assistance, please contact us at the phone number and/or email provided below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Plan for alternative travel routes or remain in place if travel becomes difficult.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter