Event: Nationwide Demonstrations on August 6 and August 7, 2021
The U.S. Embassy is aware of planned demonstration activities throughout Colombia on August 6 and August 7.
August 6, 2021:
Demonstrations, which may affect travel and could turn violent, are expected in the following locations in Bogotá:
- Pedagogical University;
- National Museum;
- Plaza de Bolívar;
- National Park;
- Bunker of the Prosecutor’s Office;
- Foundational Park of Fontibón;
- Along Calle 41 South by 3 east;
- From the Calle 100 Bridge along the north highway to the Hotel Bogotá Plaza.
While exact routes for all demonstrations and marches are subject to change, you may encounter disturbances, traffic detours, and delays associated with these events.
August 7, 2021:
Demonstrations are planned in cities throughout Colombia, including Bogotá, Tunja, Medellin, Cali, and Barranquilla. Nationwide demonstrations continue to impact other parts of Colombia not addressed in this notice.
While most protests remain peaceful, large crowds confronted by police or anti-riot forces may turn violent rapidly. If you require assistance, please contact us at the phone number and/or email provided below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Plan for alternative travel routes or remain in place if travel becomes difficult.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter