Event: Nationwide Demonstrations on July 28, 2021
The U.S. Embassy is aware of planned demonstration activities throughout Colombia on July 28, 2021.
Demonstrations, which could turn violent, are expected nationwide and in the following locations:
- Chicó neighborhood
- Monumento de los Héroes
- Ministerio de Trabajo
- Intersection of Avenida Esperanza and Carrera 45
- Centro Comercial Gran Estación
- Mico Bridge
- North Highway
Major routes throughout Bogota may be blocked. Demonstrations could turn violent in the late afternoon and evening. Expect frequent delays and detours. We will continue to monitor the protests and will provide relevant information as needed.
While most protests remain peaceful, large crowds confronted by police or anti-riot forces may turn violent rapidly. If you need assistance, please contact us at the phone number and/or email provided below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Plan for alternative travel routes or remain in place if travel becomes difficult.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter