Location: Colombia, countrywide
Event: Demonstrations in major cities across Colombia are expected today, Wednesday, November 27. While most recent protests have been peaceful, some have resulted in violent confrontations and have led to serious injuries. Protests can take place with little or no notice and typically disrupt transportation routes. U.S. citizens may encounter disturbances, heavy police presence, the use of tear gas, and/or significant traffic delays.
Actions to Take:
• Monitor local media for updates on demonstrations and security conditions.
• Avoid areas of demonstrations.
• Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
• Plan for alternative travel routes or remain in place if planned travel is inhibited.
• For emergency assistance, contact the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy using the information below.
U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444