Location: Bogota, Colombia
Event: The Embassy is monitoring reports of protests and road closures protests in response to rising fuel prices throughout Bogota on August 28, 2023. Protesters are currently gathering at Av. Cali and Av. Villavicencio. Additional protests are expected to manifest at near Virgilio Barco library Cra. 60 # 57-60 and Calle 13 at 10:00 a.m. before moving toward central Bogota.
The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid areas around demonstrations/protests/marches whenever possible and exercise caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings as even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without any warning. If you require assistance, please contact us at the phone number and/or email provided below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Plan for alternative travel routes or remain in place if travel becomes difficult.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia Tel. +57-1-275-2000 or 601-275-2000 email@example.com https://co.usembassy.gov/
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla firstname.lastname@example.org
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates