Location: Cartagena and Barranquilla
Event: U.S. Embassy Bogota is monitoring reports of protests against road tolls, blocking roads in areas around Colombia’s Caribbean coast, including Cartagena and Barranquilla, expected to continue through the holiday weekend. The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid areas around demonstrations, protests, and marches whenever possible and to exercise caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings as even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without any warning.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise vigilance.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Plan for alternative travel routes.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
U.S. Embassy in Colombia – U.S. Embassy in Colombia (usembassy.gov)
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter