Event: The Embassy is aware of clashes between Colombian security forces and protesters at the entrance of the Universidad Nacional along Calle 26 between Carreras 36 and 37.
The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid areas around demonstrations/protests/marches whenever possible and exercise caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings as even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without any warning.
The U.S. Department of State advises citizens to reconsider travel to Colombia due to crime and terrorism, and to exercise increased caution in Colombia due to civil unrest and kidnapping. The full Travel Advisory for Colombia can be found here.
If you require assistance, please contact us at the phone number and/or email provided below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Exercise vigilance.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Plan for alternative travel routes or remain in place if travel becomes difficult.
- U.S. Embassy Bogota, Colombia
Tel. +57-1-275-2000 or 601-275-2000
- U.S. Consular Agency, Barranquilla
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Colombia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter